Human Capital Law & Policy >>
Jobs and Skills in Demand: BC's Updated Labour Market Outlook to 2027
Posted Mar 28, 2018
On the lookout for the hottest in job trends? This month's Human Capital Law and Policy looks at the latest on the updated Labour Market Outlook, 2017 - 2027 Edition by WorkBC.
- The government anticipates 917,000 job openings over the next decade. Some 277,000 of these will be “new” positions created by ongoing economic and industrial growth, while the majority—roughly 70% of future vacancies —will arise as current workers transition into retirement.
- BC's current population will not be able to fill all of the positions expected to emerge. The supply of workers will have to be expanded through a combination of in-migration and tapping into underutilized labour pools.
- Two-thirds of job openings over the next decade will be in the Mainland/Southwest region.
- Health and Professional, Scientific & Technical Services sectors will post the highest number of new jobs by 2027.
- Approximately 78% of job openings will demand some level of post-secondary education or training.
- Looking ahead, access to labour will continue to be the biggest concern for the BC business community.